Over 3,000 students attend the Siri Vajirarama Daham Pasala which has a proud record of over 90 years – 94 to be exact. Held every Sunday, the school has a teaching staff of 115.
Established in 1918 by the Most Ven, Pelene Vajiranana Maha Nayaka Thero, the school has been in existence without a break under the patronage of the illustrious chief prelates of Vajiraramaya. Devoted laymen and monks have served as heads of the school. The name of W E Perera is recorded as the head master of the school for a number of years from 1941. Among others who served in this capacity in later years were Ven. Ampitiye Rahula Maha Thero (1955), Ven. Dikwelle Mahinda Maha Thero (1962), Sirimevan Piyasinghe (1983) and Ven. Daranagama Kusaladhamma Thero (1991).